Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Review for Servant x Service



Review for Servant x Service

Promotional Art. © Karino Takatsu/SQUARE ENIX, SERVANTxSERVICE Project

Okay, there are a lot of animes that came out this Summer. It's the thing that happens, people have more time and the networks have shows for them to watch during their free time. This is going to be the first of some of the new animes that have come out. I feel it's a good time with Summer ending I got a good perceptive of them.


The one I'm talking about today is Servant X Service. The show takes place in a civil servant office and it's a slice of life work comedy. The plot revolves around three new members of the office. I'm going to refer to everyone by their last name as is custom in Japan and so I don't give out a punch line if you guys think of seeing them. Yamagami is a rather busty young woman with glasses that looks to me like a character from Durarara. She's serious at work and very polite but truth be told she has a grudge against civil workers. When asked why she became one she said: "Revenge." Yes, she got a job as a civil servant as revenge. Watch the first episode and that seen alone with make you laugh and fall in love with her. I will admit she fails to notice something at times.
Hasebe, who looks a lot like Italy from Hetalia, is easy going. People chastise him for it but really he is a genius. He doesn't do a lot of work but he does it well. He is great with people and seems to know everything there is to know about being a civil servant. Overall he's a confident light hearted young man who collects women's email addresses.
Miyoshi is a soft spoken woman who is assigned to work the front desk. She doesn't talk which is okay since little old ladies love to talk to her, for hours on end. I honestly feel sorry for her on that case. She's a sweet character who doesn't always express her point in the right way, the result can often break people.
The main cast is a good balance and despite some traits are really relatable. The rest of the cats get more screen time starting the second episode including their superior Ichimiya and a temp Chihaya. There is also the manager and a high school girl called Toko. I would love to talk more about them too but I would literally be giving away some great jokes and plot points if I told you. And since we're only up to episode 8 of 13 I don't want to do that. I know there will be people out there who wait until the whole series is out to watch.
Okay, getting to the point: what is good and bad about it?
Let's start with the good. The characters are fun and they all have their own unique voices and characteristic. The show is light and funny. There are some light romance sub plots, they don't take control of the whole story but they have their place in it. The story is a comedy, some of it is odd ball humor especially when it comes to the manager. Anyway it's just a fun series and anime fan will adore. The opening and closing are wonderful and cute and done by the voice actors. The opening it's self is wonderful just for visuals itself
Okay the bad, sometimes the plot can be a little slow at points. Some episodes are going to wow you but for the most part the episodes all about the same level. Not all the jokes are going to be hits, that true in any comedy, some of them won't stick with you unless you know Japanese. I watch it with subtitles and I found it great all the same. The characters are all a odd balls in some way some people which some people might not like, but most slice of life have odd balls in it.
I found me watching most episodes at least three times. I've talked to other people online about the series and if you want to give the series a shot I suggest you watch the first two episodes, you get a feel for most of the major characters and the general feel for the show.
If you want a light comedy to just sit down and enjoy I do suggest you give Servant X Service a shot.
Now down to the grade. Out of 5 I give the seres 4 a four so far. There are still a few shows to watch so it's hard to give a proper grade on the overall show. There are new characters being introduced which are currently stirring the pot by their mere presence. The plot does keep moving even if some find the pace slow, I thought the pace was pretty good. So have a long day at work I suggest giving the series a try. They are currently showing it on Crunchyroll.com after aired in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment